Construction underway for new undergraduate dormitory

Preparations for the construction of the new Manzanita Park Residence Hall are now underway.

In a statement on the project homepage, the University noted that the dormitory—the final addition to the Manzanita Park Community—is being built to address a need for more undergraduate housing on campus. The new hall, which is scheduled for completion in the summer of 2015, is the first to be built on campus in 20 years.

The three-floor hall will house up to 125 upper-class undergraduates in single and two-room doubles, as well as three visiting scholars and graduate students.

In addition to typical dorm features—a lounge, kitchenette and computer cluster—the hall will also include study spaces, seminar rooms and an outdoor plaza.

The University has sought to address potential concerns about the community impact of construction, on-site preparations for which began over spring break.

“Due to the nature of a construction project of this magnitude, some amount of traffic, noise, dirt and dust impacts are unavoidable,” the project’s website noted. “Every effort will be made to minimize the impact of construction activity on the surrounding community.”

Seunghwa Madeleine Han '17 is a sophomore at Stanford interested in English, international relations and the intersection of technology and human communication. She is currently a contributing writer for music and a former news desk editor at The Daily. Contact her at mhan95 'at' stanford.edu to find out more.