Fashion Spotlight: What to look forward to in 2014

Dec. 4, 2013, 3:36 a.m.

As the year comes to an end, I can think of hundreds of fashion highlights from 2013. It was a great year, but I’m even more excited to see what next year and next quarter will bring. You’ll have plenty of time over break to update your wardrobe, so no excuses come winter quarter! I’m looking forward to seeing the following fashion updates around campus:

1. Play with texture. Texture is everything when it comes to differentiating between a good outfit and a fantastic outfit. Winter quarter will definitely get chilly, so now’s the time to get out all your bulky knit sweaters and scarves. Mix them together for something new and different. You don’t have to just mix knits though – what about lace, leather and metal detailing? How about adding in a little pattern? I’m not saying you need cosmic or psychedelic patterns every day, but completing a look with a unique print never hurt anyone.

2. Make business casual the new casual. Seriously, how often do I need to talk about dressing for the occasion? Next quarter, I’m challenging you to make “business casual” the new “casual,” but actually I’m just hoping that next quarter will bring fewer sweatpants out of your dorm rooms. Think about what you’re wearing and the image you portray. Who do you take more seriously: someone dressed professionally or someone in yoga pants and a freshman dorm t-shirt? (Hint: someone dressed professionally.) Remember this when you’re getting dressed in the morning next quarter! It really doesn’t take any longer to dress nicely, especially when you spend just two minutes planning your outfit the night before.

3. What’s the color? Every year and every season brings a new “it” color that can be spotted almost anywhere (cobalt blue this season, anyone?). I’m hoping that we, as Stanford, will have a color of the quarter (that’s not cardinal red from all your sweats and hoodies), and I’ll most definitely be looking out for it. Think about a new color that you think embodies the new you of 2014, and own that color. Make it yours. I don’t know what it’ll be yet, but I already have a few colors in mind that I’ll definitely be wearing. How about you? Who knows, simply sporting a particular color could make you the latest trendsetter at Stanford!

Here’s to a great past year of fashion at Stanford and even a better year to come in 2014. Challenge yourselves to embrace the new, and let your fashion spirits guide you.

Contact Laynie Stephens at laynies ‘at’ stanford.edu.