Fourth season of “Walking Dead” ties loose ends, revives gore

When “The Walking Dead” first burst onto the scene, it was an instant hit, to say the least. The first season was fantastic, breathing new life into the dying zombie genre. However, both seasons two and three had their problems, and even though they were good, they never quite lived up to its potential. Season four from the start has addressed the series’ main issues and is shaping up to be the best yet.

The fourth season the critically acclaimed "The Walking Dead" aims to bring more depth, gore to its audience this time around. (Courtesy of Gene Page/AMC)
The fourth season the critically acclaimed “The Walking Dead” aims to bring more depth, gore to its audience this time around. (Courtesy of Gene Page/AMC)

Introducing a new threat to the protagonists in the form of the virus was a great change of pace for the show. Seeing how the group dealt with an intangible threat as well as regular zombies was riveting. By doing this, the writers were able to slow down the story and develop the characters. This was used most effectively with Carol’s character. From the beginning of the show, she was written as a weak and helpless, but as the show continued, she adapted, becoming stronger with each passing season. They have also rectified their earlier mistakes with Michonne, making her much more engaging and shedding a little light on her back-story. It was still disappointing to see characters such as Karen die so quickly because it is hard to feel emotional about their deaths when you barely knew them.

Hershel also gets some much-needed screen time, as he is portrayed as more than the wise old man. Having him care for the sick people in the jail was great way to bring out his inner conflict with why all this was happening. He began questioning his beliefs but, in the end, stuck to his faith. It will be interesting to see how Tyrese and Daryl react to Carol’s departure — especially the latter, as they had formed a strong bond over the course of the show.

Rick’s struggle with his multiple roles as farmer, leader and father also comes to the forefront as he faced with hard decisions. His emotions are expertly conveyed to make the viewer understand what he’s going through as he is torn between trying to live a normal life and taking up the mantle of leading the group. He also feels as though he has to try and preserve Carl’s innocence by shielding him from what is going on around him.

Some might complain that this season has not been as fast paced and action packed as previous seasons, but it’s amazing how the show keeps finding new ways for the group to fight zombies. The scene with the zombies falling through the ceiling was downright terrifying. Kudos to the special effect and make-up teams as well, as their work continues to excel.

Now that the threat of the virus will soon be over, it will be interesting to see where the story goes from here after the little tease at the end of the last episode. If the writers can successfully bring the Governor back into the fold, we are in for an explosive season.