The last three years: Stanford vs. Oregon

2010: Stanford 31, Oregon 52

In the first ever matchup where both sides were ranked, No. 9 Stanford traveled to Autzen Stadium to face No. 4 Oregon in a battle of 4-0 teams. After jumping to an early 21-3 lead in the first quarter thanks to touchdown runs by quarterback Andrew Luck ‘12 and running back Stepfan Taylor ‘13, Stanford was outscored 49-10 the rest of the way, scoring zero second-half points, en route to a 52-31 Oregon victory. The Ducks rushed for 388 yards, behind 257 from running back LaMichael James alone, and put up 626 yards of total offense. Stanford finished with 518 yards of total offense, but turnovers and trouble stopping the Ducks gave the Cardinal its first loss.

2011: Stanford 30, Oregon 53           

It was all Oregon in 2011 as the No. 7 Ducks trounced the previously unbeaten No. 4 Cardinal in Stanford Stadium, leading from wire to wire in a 53-30 victory. With College GameDay making its first visit to the Farm, a wet field resulted in players on both sides slipping and sliding, but Oregon maintained its footing the best and capitalized on Stanford’s inability to move on the wet field with three offensive touchdowns of 40-plus yards. Although Stanford matched Oregon with 385 yards of total offense to the Ducks’ 387 yards, five turnovers (three fumbles and two Luck interceptions) doomed the Cardinal. Stanford only trailed 22-16 at halftime but again was dramatically outscored in the second half.

2012: Stanford 17, Oregon 14 (OT)

Despite being a 21-point underdog, No. 13 Stanford shocked No. 2 Oregon 17-14 in overtime at Autzen, knocking the Ducks out of the BCS title picture. While the last two years’ contests were characterized by potent offenses, Stanford’s defense dominated this day, holding Oregon to 198 rushing yards and 14 points. It was the only game in which Oregon would score fewer than 35 points all season. Then-sophomore quarterback Kevin Hogan threw a game-tying touchdown to tight end Zach Ertz ‘13 with just over a minute left in the fourth quarter to cap a 78-yard drive and force overtime. Then-junior kicker Jordan Williamson was the hero, delivering a game-winning 37-yard field goal.

Michael Peterson is a senior staff writer at The Stanford Daily. He has served as a beat reporter for football, baseball and men’s soccer and also does play-by-play broadcasting of football and baseball for KZSU. Michael is a senior from Rancho Santa Margarita, California majoring in computer science. To contact him, please email him at mrpeters ‘at’ stanford.edu.