The Daily stands in solidarity with the Black community. Read our editors’ statement.

Water polo coaches earn contract extensions

Women's water polo coach John Tanner (front) and men's counterpart John Vargas signed long-term contract extensions, the school announced Thursday. (DON FERIA/StanfordPhoto.com)
Women’s water polo coach John Tanner (front) and men’s counterpart John Vargas signed long-term contract extensions, the school announced Thursday. (DON FERIA/StanfordPhoto.com)

Stanford Athletics announced Thursday that the Cardinal’s two water polo coaches, John Vargas and John Tanner, signed long-term contract extensions. They had a combined 27 years of experience on the Farm entering the 2013-14 academic year.

Vargas began coaching the men’s team in 2002, guiding the Card to an NCAA title in his first season, and has compiled a winning percentage above .750 over his career. Stanford is off to a 7-1 start in 2013.

Tanner’s career with the women’s team is even more impressive. He has been named MPSF Coach or Co-Coach of the Year five times in 16 seasons, coaching two NCAA championship teams and going 380-59 with the Cardinal. Tanner’s women’s team competes in the spring season.

Contact Joseph Beyda at jbeyda ‘at’ stanford.edu.

Joseph Beyda is the editor in chief of The Stanford Daily. Previously he has worked as the executive editor, webmaster, football editor, a sports desk editor, the paper's summer managing editor and a beat reporter for football, baseball and women's soccer. He co-authored The Daily's recent football book, "Rags to Roses," and covered the soccer team's national title run for the New York Times. Joseph is a senior from Cupertino, Calif. majoring in Electrical Engineering. To contact him, please email jbeyda "at" stanford.edu.