Two professors awarded MacArthur fellowships

Courtesy of the John D. & Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation

Two Stanford professors were awarded MacArthur fellowships, also known as “Genius Grants” from the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation on Tuesday.

Dr. David Lobell Ph.D. ‘05, associate professor in Environmental Earth System Science and associate director of the Center on Food Security and the Environment (FSE), and Dr. Kevin Boyce, associate professor in the department of Geological and Environmental Sciences, will each receive a sum of $625,000 over the course of five years, with zero requirements or reporting conditions.

Lobell, an agricultural ecologist who was appointed as senior research scholar at the FSE in 2008, has researched the effect of climate change on crop production and food security around the world.

Boyce, a paleobotanist, has investigated ancient plants and how certain physiological and biological changes through evolution affect today’s ecosystem.

Boyce and Lobell join 22 other 2013 MacArthur fellows representing a variety of fields.

“This year’s class of MacArthur Fellows is an extraordinary group of individuals who collectively reflect the breadth and depth of American creativity,” said Cecilia Conrad, vice president of the MacArthur Fellows Program, in a press release.