SUNet ID users required to enroll for two-step authentication

Starting this Thursday all SUNet ID holders will be required to have two-step authentication enabled in order to access web-based services in an effort to protect Stanford’s information systems against online attacks similar to the one that took place over the summer.

Vice President for Business Affairs and Chief Financial Officer Randy Livingston said in an email addressed to the entire Stanford community that enrollment for use of two-step authentication will be on a rolling basis with more than 10,000 SUNet ID account holders already volunteering to use this safety precaution.

Two-step authentication will require a second login code in addition to a user’s password to access account information. Community members are encouraged to go to the Accounts link on the IT Services homepage to enroll for two-step authentication now.

Livingston added in the email that technical support teams and IT Services will be working with all campus units to upgrade or replace older Windows XP operating systems and to encrypt all employee laptops and mobile devices in the next few months for further precaution.

Ileana Najarro is the Managing Editor of News at The Stanford Daily. She previously worked as a News Desk Editor and Staff Writer.