Market at Munger pilots meal plan dollars

July 17, 2013, 1:12 a.m.

As part of a new pilot program launched by Residential & Dining Enterprises (R&DE), students will be able to use meal plan dollars to purchase items from The Market at Munger through the end of December.

The campus grocery store, which had previously accepted Cardinal Dollars, began allowing meal plan dollars – which come with most undergraduate meal plans — as a form of payment on July 1.

According to R&DE spokesperson Cynthia Liu, the pilot program is part of an effort to offer students more options in using meal plan dollars.

“Munger Market offers a selection of 2,000 items not available at dining halls or retail outlets, such as organic bulk food, gelato and other sundries,” Liu wrote in a statement. “This program provides greater flexibility to use their meal plan dollars.”

In addition to food offerings, The Market at Munger also features non-food items like Krazy Glue and Stanford apparel.

According to Liu, the University doesn’t directly support any costs presented by The Market’s operation.

“These expenses are funded entirely by students living on campus,” Liu wrote.

Liu characterized student reactions to the pilot program to date as positive.

“Students like having flexibility,” Liu wrote.

Meelim Lee ’16 said that the new option of using meal plan dollars at The Market offers everyday convenience for her.

“It’s really nice to have a place on campus that has everything,” Lee said.

The pilot’s prospective continuation into next year hinges on whether students continue to embrace the initiative, according to Liu.

“We will decide whether to continue the program based on student feedback and participation,” Liu wrote.