Health professionals advise summer heat precautions

July 16, 2013, 4:31 p.m.

The Bay Area’s recent wave of high temperatures could pose a significant danger – albeit one easily averted by reasonable precautions – to Stanford’s summer residents, according to University health professionals.

“The easiest thing for prevention is staying inside where it’s cool,” confirmed Grant Lipman, clinical assistant professor of medicine. “But that’s no fun.”

Heat illnesses can take three forms – heat cramps, heat exhaustion and heat stroke – which, while varying in severity, all require prompt treatment. However, both Lipman and Vaden Medical Director Robyn Tepper singled out heat stroke — which can induce a fever of more than 103 degrees and mental confusion as the body fails to regulate its own temperature — as particularly serious.

Treatment for all heat illnesses largely consists of responding to symptoms like cramps, dizziness, fever or fatigue and subsequently seeking relief from the heat.

“Recognize that you feel crummy,” Lipman said. “Slow down, and try to cool down. Stop what you’re doing, get some shade, drink some water.”

According to Tepper, cold water – as well as non-sugary sports drinks and fruit juice – effectively offers relief from heat, as do fruits like watermelon and her “personal favorite,” fruit popsicles.

Lipman emphasized the value of preventative measures, even as the Bay Area’s low humidity mitigates the risk of heat stroke.

“An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure,” he said.

According to Lipman, most heat illnesses occur through unfamiliarity with the heat or through excessive exertion. People who plan on physical activity should avoid the midday heat accordingly, he suggested, while hikers should practice beforehand with shorter outings in the heat to acclimate themselves. Wearing hats and light-colored clothing and hydrating regularly can also prevent heat illnesses.

Certain students may, however, be at additional risk of heat illnesses, from those with chronic medical conditions to athletes.

“I’m concerned that we have students here who are very committed to regular, intense levels of outdoor exercise,” Tepper said. “They should try to exercise at times of the day when the sun is not strong [or] exercise in air conditioned gyms or stick to swimming.”

Lipman concurred, noting that heat illness is a prominent risk for young athletes and may prompt the “very real” – if rare – risk of heart-related fatalities.

Carole Pertofsky, the director of health promotion services at Vaden, cited the Center for Disease Control’s webpage on extreme heat as a resource for further information, as well as a website and app created by Lipman that offer further guidance.

While recent weather has been more temperate, Lipman warned against exercising less caution.

“Be smart,” he said. “And don’t forget your sunblock.”

Hannah Knowles is senior staff writer from San Jose who served as Volume 253 Editor-in-Chief. Prior to that, she managed The Daily's news section.