John Arrillaga ’60 donates $151 million to Stanford

July 1, 2013, 11:59 p.m.

Philanthropist John Arrillaga ’60 made a $151 million gift to Stanford last week, in the largest single gift from a living donor in University history.

The donation will be directed towards supporting a variety of University projects over time, according to the Stanford News Service.

Arrillaga had previously given extensively to Stanford, including making a $100 million donation in 2006 that at the time exceeded that of any other living donors, backing the construction of a number of campus buildings — including the renovation of Stanford Stadium in 2005-06 — and supporting nearly 50 students each year through endowed fellowships.

“John is a true friend to Stanford, combining extraordinary generosity with unwavering service,” said President John Hennessy to the Stanford News Service. “He brings his professional expertise to each project, and our entire community has benefited from his vision, attention to detail and passion for Stanford University.”

A $150 million gift to the Graduate School of Business in 2011 from Robert King ’60 and his wife Dorothy King had previously stood as the largest gift by living donors. Arrillaga’s gift is eclipsed in turn, however, by a $400 million commitment made by the Hewlett Foundation to Stanford in 2001, the largest gift of any kind in University history.

Marshall Watkins is a senior staff writer at The Stanford Daily, having previously worked as the paper's executive editor and as the managing editor of news. Marshall is a junior from London majoring in Economics, and can be reached at mtwatkins "at" stanford "dot" edu.