CISAC receives $5 million grant for nuclear studies faculty position

The Center for International Security and Cooperation (CISAC) has received a $5 million gift from the Stanton Foundation to establish a faculty position in nuclear studies.

The Frank Stanton Professorship in Nuclear Security is intended to attract an internationally recognized scholar to conduct research into nuclear security and energy and to teach a CISAC course related to nuclear security issues.

“The Stanton chair will help CISAC, the Freeman Spogli Institute and Stanford continue a tradition going back three decades of being at the forefront in global efforts to understand nuclear energy and its enormous consequences for civilization,” said Mariano-Florentino Cuéllar M.A. ’96 Ph.D. ’00, CISAC’s co-director.

The Stanton Foundation, founded by former CBS president Frank Stanton, also funds CISAC’s Stanton Nuclear Security Fellowships, which supports the study of policy-relevant issues around nuclear security by pre- and post-doctoral students and junior faculty.

“This gift from Stanton will ensure that CISAC’s important role in policy-relevant research on nuclear issues will continue in perpetuity,” said Scott Sagan, a CISAC senior fellow.