Ipsen punches ticket to 2013 World Championships

Sophomore diver Kristian Ipsen qualified for the 2013 FINA World Championships in the 1-meter springboard event at the World Championship Trials on Wednesday in Tallahassee, Fla.

Sophomore Kristian Ipsen (above), who won a bronze medal at the 2012 Olympics in London, qualified for the 2013 FINA World Championships in the 1-meter on Wednesday. (DAVID ELKINSON/StanfordPhoto.com)

Ipsen, a bronze medalist at the 2012 London Olympics and three-time NCAA champion, won the 1-meter comfortably with a score of 835.60. The NCAA Diver of the Year beat out runner-up Harrison Jones by over 50 points.

“I’ve always wanted to do 1-meter at a world meet, but I’m usually doing 3-meter [springboard] and 3-meter synchro, and three events is a little tiring,” Ipsen told GoStanford.com. “Since I’m not diving synchro with anyone this year, I thought I might as well do 1-meter.”

The World Championships is the second most prestigious competition in the sport of diving, behind only the Olympics.

Ipsen is well known for his clutch performances on the big stage. In addition to winning bronze in London last summer, Ipsen took silver at the 2009 World Championships in the 3-meter synchro with diving partner Troy Dumais.

Hoping to go two-for-two, Ipsen also competed in the semifinal round of the 3-meter springboard yesterday. The sophomore star led the field with 872.25 points, 54.50 points clear of Miami junior Sam Dorman. The 3-meter final session will begin Sunday morning.

George Chen is a senior staff writer at The Stanford Daily who writes football, football and more football. Previously he worked at The Daily as the President and Editor in Chief, Executive Editor, Managing Editor of Sports, the football beat reporter and a sports desk editor. George also co-authored The Daily's recent book documenting the rise of Stanford football, "Rags to Roses." He is a senior from Painted Post, NY majoring in Biology. To contact him, please email at [email protected].