Stanford softball overpowered by Pacific 9-6

After shutting out Pacific (28-22, 12-6 Big West) in early March, No. 15 Stanford softball (29-16, 6-9 Pac-12) fell to Pacific 9-6 in Wednesday night’s midweek road game.

Senior Teagan Gerhart was uncharacteristically shaky on the mound, giving up five earned runs on eight hits in 3.2 innings of work. Her freshman counterpart, Kelsey Stevens, didn’t fare much better when she came in the fourth inning for relief duty, allowing four earned runs in picking up her eighth loss of the year.

Pacific’s bats were alive right from the beginning, with third baseman Taylor Petty’s two-run home run off Gerhart giving the Tigers an early 2-0 lead. The Cardinal struck back in the top of the third when sophomore leftfielder Leah White plated three runs with a monster shot to right field.

(SAM GIRVIN/The Stanford Daily)
Sophomore leftfielder Leah White gave her team a much needed burst of energy at the top of the third to keep the Card in the game.  (SAM GIRVIN/The Stanford Daily)

But the Tigers knotted the score at three in the next frame before putting the game away by scoring three runs each in the fifth and sixth innings.

It looked as if Stanford would mount a rally in the top of the sixth when sophomore Erin Ashby hit a three-run homer, but the Cardinal couldn’t carry its momentum into the final inning to complete the comeback.

Stanford jumps back into Pac-12 play this weekend, hosting Utah for a three-game series.

George Chen is a senior staff writer at The Stanford Daily who writes football, football and more football. Previously he worked at The Daily as the President and Editor in Chief, Executive Editor, Managing Editor of Sports, the football beat reporter and a sports desk editor. George also co-authored The Daily's recent book documenting the rise of Stanford football, "Rags to Roses." He is a senior from Painted Post, NY majoring in Biology. To contact him, please email at [email protected].