We need your help: All banner donations made today will support The Daily's new staff financial aid program.
Learn more and donate.

The Daily Brief: Saturday, March 30

Menlo Park City Council  to stage public airing of Arrillaga development proposal | In response to residents’ complaints, the Menlo Park City Council plans to offer a public forum to discuss the construction of a mixed-use Stanford-owned development on El Camino Real. After Stanford submitted its proposals for the development — in which John Arrillaga ’60 is a partner — in November 2012, members of the Menlo Park community began sending letters to the council and even created an online petition protesting the planned inclusion of medical offices and residences, among other grievances. According to council member Kristen Keith, the Menlo Park City Council hopes to further discuss the project during its April 16 meeting.

Cecilia Preciado Burciaga, longtime Stanford administrator, dies at 67 | Cecilia Preciado Burciaga, a former senior associate provost, associate dean and development officer for student affairs, passed away Monday at Stanford Hospital after battling lung cancer. While at Stanford, Burciaga — one of the nation’s first high-ranking Latina administrators at a private university — advocated hiring more ethnic minorities and women as faculty, as well as admitting greater numbers of those groups to graduate programs. She and her husband Tony, an artist, served as Casa Zapata’s resident fellows for 10 years, and Burciaga was considered a role model by many Chicano students.