Top 5 movies to see over spring break

Courtesy of Disney Pictures
Courtesy of Disney Pictures

Spring break might come in the form of your annual trip to Bora Bora, or it might just mean going home to sleep for seven days straight. No matter what your plans, the free time means it’s time to hit the movie theater right when the theater most needs the money. Intermission has the top movies you should check out over the break.

“Oz the Great and Powerful”

The 1939 classic gets a CGI makeover on the big screen. “Oz the Great and Powerful,” which opened March 8, has gotten mixed reviews: kids love it, feminists hate it (why does the Wicked Witch have cleavage?) and there’s a 99 percent chance that there’s too much James Franco. Also, the “Wizard of Oz” prequel doesn’t have a whole lot of Dorothy, and her ruby slippers are dearly missed. However, if you’re looking for a 130-minute visual orgasm, catch “Oz” next week at the movies.

Courtesy of The Weinstein Company
Courtesy of The Weinstein Company

“Silver Linings Playbook”

This bold Oscar favorite is still playing in theaters–and Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence are still killing it on the screen. Salsa lovers, humor lovers and romantics rave about “Silver Linings Playbook,” for which Lawrence won Best Actress at the 2013 Academy Awards and Cooper, Lawrence, Robert De Niro and Jacki Weaver received nominations across all four acting categories. “SLP” gets a bonus for tackling the very relevant issue of mental health in a real way.

“Spring Breakers”

It’s spring break. A movie called “Spring Breakers” sounds like a good idea. James Franco, Vanessa Hudgens, Selena Gomez and Ashley Benson star in the awkward-looking movie with a trailer that features Disney stars, guns and girls in way-too-small bikinis–something for everyone in the family! “Spring Breakers” hits theaters March 22.

“Admission”

We’re a little obsessed with Paul Rudd and Tina Fey, so we have pretty high expectations for “Admission.” The plot, if nothing else, is college-friendly–Fey plays an admissions officer for an Ivy League school who fights for one eclectic student’s admission. Plot twist: he might also be her long-lost son. It’s a little soap opera, but everyone loved Les Mis too, so… “Admission” opens in theaters March 22.

“G.I. Joe: Retaliation”

“G.I. Joe: Retaliation” is a movie that we’ve been anticipating for a long time–the film was pushed back nine months in order to be converted to 3D. Was it worth it? We hope so, judging by the perfect action-movie cast that includes Bruce Willis, Channing Tatum and The Rock. Tatum, who did some pretty impressive acting in 2012 with “The Vow” and “21 Jump Street,” will likely continue his box office winning streak. If not, we’ll be waiting for “Magic Mike 2” anyways. “G.I. Joe: Retaliation” opens in theaters March 28.