Alumna Buehler makes 100th appearance for Team USA

Former Cardinal soccer player Rachel Buehler ’07 earned her 100th cap in an American uniform on Wednesday, scoring the game-winning goal for the U.S. in a 3-0 win against Iceland. It was just her fourth international tally and came on the same field where she played in her first game for the U.S. women’s national team in 2008.

“Today was an incredible game for me,” she told ussoccer.com. “It’s sort of coming full circle.”

An All-Pac-10 First Team selection in her senior year on the Farm, Buehler is more widely known as the player who was given a questionable red card for dragging down Brazilian star Marta in the 2011 Women’s World Cup quarterfinal. American goalkeeper Hope Solo saved the ensuing penalty kick, but Marta was given a second chance after a controversial encroachment call and tied the match. Playing a man down without Buehler, the U.S. team would eventually win in penalty kicks.

Joseph Beyda is the editor in chief of The Stanford Daily. Previously he has worked as the executive editor, webmaster, football editor, a sports desk editor, the paper's summer managing editor and a beat reporter for football, baseball and women's soccer. He co-authored The Daily's recent football book, "Rags to Roses," and covered the soccer team's national title run for the New York Times. Joseph is a senior from Cupertino, Calif. majoring in Electrical Engineering. To contact him, please email jbeyda "at" stanford.edu.