Morgan Turner named new tight ends coach

Morgan Turner was named as Stanford football’s new tight ends coach today, replacing Ron Crook, who recently accepted a job as the offensive line coach at West Virginia University.

Former offensive assistant Morgan Turner was named Stanford's tight ends coach on Tuesday morning. (DON FERIA/StanfordPhoto.com)
Former offensive assistant Morgan Turner was named Stanford’s tight ends coach on Tuesday morning. (DON FERIA/StanfordPhoto.com)

Turner has worked within the Cardinal program for the past three seasons and has been on the coaching staff for two. In 2011 and 2012, Turner served as an offensive assistant after working as a strength and conditioning intern in 2010.

“Morgan Turner has worked extremely hard here and has been invaluable to us with the offense,” Stanford head coach David Shaw said in a release. “He worked closely with [offensive coordinator] Mike Bloomgren in the run game the past two years. This is a great opportunity for a bright, young coach who our players know and respect. We’re pleased that Morgan was able to pass up other opportunities to stay here with us at Stanford.”

Early this month, Turner left Stanford briefly to take a position on his father’s staff at Florida International University. He now returns to the Farm, where he will take on the responsibility of molding Stanford’s crop of inexperienced tight ends. Stanford’s top two tight ends last season, Zach Ertz and Levine Toilolo, both declared for the 2013 NFL Draft.

The Cardinal’s spring practice began on Monday, Feb. 25 and will culminate in the Cardinal & White Spring Game on April 13. The 2013 season begins on Sept. 7 against San Jose State.

Jana Persky is the president and editor in chief of Volume 246 of The Stanford Daily. She previously worked as a sports desk editor, news desk editor and managing editor of staff development at The Daily, and is majoring in Public Policy. Jana is a junior from New Canaan, Connecticut, who doesn't want to tell her mom and dad she likes the West Coast better. To contact her, please email [email protected].