Kelsey Stevens earns National Player of the Week honors

The accolades just keep piling up for Stanford rookie sensation Kelsey Stevens.

Freshman pitcher Ke(DON FERIA/Stanfordphoto.com)
Freshman pitcher Kelsey Stevens was named the Louisville Slugger/NCFA Division I National Player of the Week on Tuesday for her dominant 3-0 performance on the mound this past weekend. Stevens pitched two complete game shutouts, one of which was a perfect game, and also struck out 19 batters and posted a 0.00 ERA. (DON FERIA/Stanfordphoto.com)

On the heels of earning Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week distinctions last week, the freshman ace was named the Louisville Slugger/NCFA Division National Player of the Year on Tuesday.

The Albuquerque, NM native went 3-0 this past weekend at the Mary Nutter Classic in Cathedral City, Calif., posting two complete game shutouts, including a perfect game. Over the course of 19 innings, she fanned 19 batters, boasted a 0.00 ERA and allowed only seven hits with a .115 combined opponent batting average.

Setting the tone for her dominant weekend performance, Stevens gave up just four hits against No. 13 Georgia on Friday to clinch a 6-0 victory for the Cardinal. Stevens then pitched the tenth perfect game in school history the next day against Virginia, striking out ten Cavalier batters and giving Stanford a 4-0 win in the process.

Having won ten out of their last 11 games, Stevens and the Cardinal look to carry their momentum into the Easton Invitational at Fullerton, Calif. starting on March 1.

George Chen is a senior staff writer at The Stanford Daily who writes football, football and more football. Previously he worked at The Daily as the President and Editor in Chief, Executive Editor, Managing Editor of Sports, the football beat reporter and a sports desk editor. George also co-authored The Daily's recent book documenting the rise of Stanford football, "Rags to Roses." He is a senior from Painted Post, NY majoring in Biology. To contact him, please email at [email protected].