Ogwumike named to Capital One Academic All-America team

Stanford women’s basketball standout Chiney Ogwumike was one of five players named to the 2012-13 Capital One Academic All-America team on Thursday.

Ogwumike, who is majoring in international relations, has a 3.41 cumulative grade-point average.

The junior forward is also a leading candidate for the national player of the year as the only player in the country to rank in the top six nationally in scoring (22.7 ppg), rebounding (12.3 rpg), field-goal percentage (58.4 percent) and double-doubles (20). In the Pac-12, she holds or shares the lead in all four categories.

Heading into the weekend’s slate of Pac-12 games, Ogwumike has now scored 1,554 career points and 974 rebounds. Once she reaches the 1000-rebound plateau, she will be the sixth player in Stanford women’s basketball history to record more than 1000 points and 1000 rebounds in her career.

Named Pac-12 Player of the Week a record-tying five times, Ogwumike has helped lead Stanford to a 24-2 overall record this season—the No. 4 Cardinal is currently tied for first in the Pac-12.

Jana Persky is the president and editor in chief of Volume 246 of The Stanford Daily. She previously worked as a sports desk editor, news desk editor and managing editor of staff development at The Daily, and is majoring in Public Policy. Jana is a junior from New Canaan, Connecticut, who doesn't want to tell her mom and dad she likes the West Coast better. To contact her, please email [email protected].