Men’s golf has impressive showing at Prestige at PGA West

HECTOR GARCIA-MOLINA/Stanford Daily
Junior Cameron Wilson led the Card to a fifth place finish and individually grabbed seventh place along with teammate Andrew Yun.  HECTOR GARCIA-MOLINA/stanfordphoto.com

This week the No. 14 Stanford men’s golf team co-hosted, with UC-Davis, 15 teams at the Prestige at PGA West in La Quinta, Calif.

Sitting in seventh after the first round, the Card moved up two spots to finish the tournament in fifth place with a score of 860, falling to No. 4 Washington and No. 8 USC, who tied for first with 851.

Individually, the Card had a stellar showing from its lineup with three golfers finishing in the top 20 despite windy conditions.

Senior Andrew Yun and junior Cameron Wilson tied for seventh place. Yun’s three-under-par 68 bumped Stanford up the two spots in the leader board after the second round.

“The conditions were tough,” Yun told GoStanford.com. “I practiced hitting some low shots, keeping it underneath the wind and trying to manage my game as best as I can. Luckily I executed all of the shots I wanted to hit and kept it in play, which was really key.”

Sophomore Patrick Rodgers finished in fifteenth, senior Steven Kearney in 51st and freshman David Boote in 65th.

Stanford next hits the course on March 8 in the Southern Highlands Collegiate Masters.

Ashley Westhem was Editor in Chief of Vol. 248 after serving as Executive Editor and Managing Editor of Sports. She is the voice of Stanford women’s basketball for KZSU as well as The Daily’s beat writer for the team and aids in KZSU’s coverage of football. She graduated in 2016 and is currently a Communications masters student. Ashley is from Lake Tahoe, California.