Facebook privacy notice a hoax, ‘essentially legal jibberish’

“In response to the new Facebook guidelines I hereby declare that my copyright is attached to all of my personal details…”

This post, asserting the Facebook user’s privacy, has made the rounds on Facebook in the past week, appearing on many Stanford students’ timelines.

Unsurprisingly, the post is a hoax.

“If you could just post something and change a relationship, you could just go to Banana Republic and say ‘Oh, is your return policy 30 days? Well my return policy is 60 days, so I’ll see you then,'” said Ryan Calo, a privacy law expert at Stanford University’s Center for Internet and Society,  to KQED Public Media  in an article that called the post “essentially legal jibberish.”

The relationship between Facebook and its users is governed by the agreement in the Facebook Terms of Service.

Marwa Farag

Marwa Farag

Marwa Farag is a senior staff writer at The Stanford Daily. Previously, she was the managing editor of news, managing editor of the former features section, a features desk editor and a news writer.