Liveblog: No. 14 Stanford defeats No. 11 Oregon State 27-23

We’ll be updating this page throughout today’s game between the Cardinal and the Beavers with instant coverage and analysis. Please refresh this page for the most recent updates. All times are Pacific.

3:25 PM: Stanford’s conference championship and Rose Bowl hopes stay alive. If Stanford runs the table, a Rose Bowl berth would be guaranteed. But there’s another path. If Oregon goes to the national championship and if Cardinal loses to Oregon next week but then beats UCLA in two weeks, there’s a chance that it could go to the Rose Bowl. Stanford would have to finish in the top 14 in the BCS standings. At this point, it’s too early to guess if the stars will align for the Cardinal and the BCS is notoriously controversial/unpredictable, but it’s definitely a possibility.

3:20 PM: With the victory, Stanford improves to 8-2 overall, 5-1 in Pac-12. Oregon State drops to 7-2 overall, 5-2 in the Pac-12. The Cardinal is now second in the Pac-12 North Division standings, behind undefeated No. 3 Oregon.

3:19 PM: That was a gutsy performance by the Cardinal. Four turnovers and a missed field goal, but Stanford still manages to edge out Oregon State. Undeniably a great effort.

3:17 PM: Hogan takes three straight kneels. FINAL SCORE: Stanford 27, Oregon State 23

3:16 PM: MANNION’S PASS FALLS INCOMPLETE. THAT’S THE GAME.

3:14 PM: Vaz sacked by Alex Debniak and is injured by the play. 4th-and-15. Sean Mannion is in at quarterback.

3:13 PM: 3rd-and-3…

3:19 PM: Beavers driving. Out to its own 45-yard line now…

3:08 PM: Hogan’s scramble is one yard short of the first down. Zychlinski punts the ball away. Excellent coverage by the Cardinal and Oregon State will get the ball back at its own 16-yard line with 3:46 left in the game. The Beavers have no timeouts left.

3:07 PM: Hogan keeps the ball himself for a 6-yard gain. Mike Riley calls his first timeout, electing to use his timeouts early in the Cardinal’s drive.

3:06 PM: This is it, folks. If Stanford can take four minutes of the clock, it’s got the game.

3:03 PM: Card D holds on third-and-2.. Beavers bring their punting unit out. Terrell waves for the fair catch at the Stanford 26-yard line. Four minute drill coming up for Hogan.

3:02 PM: Inside linebacker AJ Tarpley down on the ground. Injury timeout.

2:59 PM: Williamson kicks the ball out of bounds. Beavers start their on their 35-yard line with game on the line.

2:57 PM: Stanford’s defense has come up big game all year in propelling the team to wins. Can it do it again in the final minutes of today’s game?

2:55 PM: Hogan finds Ertz in the end zone for a 14-yard touchdown. Hogan’s rush attempt down the middle for the 2-point conversion FAILS. Stanford leads Oregon State 27-23 with 5:07 left in the game. 

2:51 PM: Jamal-Rashad Patterson reverse goes back 6 yards. Beavers defense sniffed that one out before the ball was even snapped.

2:50 PM: Oregon State has been meticulous in taking care of the ball today, but Vaz fumbles it at the worst time. Cardinal ball at the Beavers 30-yard line.

2:46 PM: Hogan throws his second pick of the day. Poor pass that essentially turned int oa punt. Beavers get the ball back on their own 30-yard line.

2:45 PM: Criticial third-and-9 for Stanford at its own 35-yard line. Can Hogan make something happen?

2:41 PM: This game’s coming down right to the end, folks. 12:10 left in the fourth quarter. A 20-play, 80-yard touchdown-scoring drive that takes 12:10 would be great for the Cardinal right now.

2:38 PM: Crowd getting into it on third-and-10. Vaz had all day to throw, but the coverage down field was great. Ben Gardner chases down Vaz, records Stanford’s second sack of the day. Kostol punts it away for a touchback.

2:36 PM: Vaz making the Cardinal pay with short completions underneath.

2:27 PM: Despite almost getting sacked, Kevin Hogan dishes the ball to Stepfan Taylor. The Doak Walker semifinalist makes three defenders miss, throws in a stiff arm and dashes into the end zone for a 40-yard touchdown. Williamson’s PAT is GOOD and Stanford shortens Oregon State’s lead 23-13.

2:26 PM: The Cardinal gets its first first down of the second half with a 3-yard catch by Ertz. Stanford looking to end the third quarter with a solid drive in the making.

2:22 PM: Vaz drives Oregon State to the Cardinal 27-yard line, but the drive stalls there. Romaine’s 44-yard field goal is GOOD and the Beavers now lead Stanford 23-14.

2:14 PM: Beavers sack Hogan twice, force a three-and-out. Daniel Zychlinski’s 33-yard punt gives Oregon State the ball back at the Stanford 49-yard line. A lot of pressure being put on Stanford’s defense right now.

2:07 PM: Pass bat-down by Ben Gardner brings up 4th-and-8. Romaine’s 42-yard field goal attempt is GOOD and the Beavers increase their lead over the Cardinal 20-14 with 7:34 left in the third quarter.

2:06 PM: Hogan’s pass is intercepted by Ryan Murphy, who returns it to the Stanford 28. That’s Hogan’s first career interception and the Cardinal’s third turnover on the afternoon.

2:04 PM: Stanford self-destructing with a holding penalty on first down.

2:02 PM: With that touchdown, the Cardinal trails for the first time today. How will the team respond to adversity?

2:00 PM: Vaz dumps the ball off to Wheaton, who takes it for a 24-yard touchdown. Romaine’s PAT is GOOD. With 10:17 left in the third quarter, Oregon State takes a 17-14 lead over Stanford.

1:59 PM: Big breakup by Terrence Brown and Richards. Would’ve been good for six.

1:54 PM: Two uncharacteristic defensive penalties on the Cardinal give Beavers the chance to take a shot down field. Vaz throws the deep ball to Wheaton, but Ed Reynolds is there to break up the pass.

1:53 PM: Less than minute into the third quarter and Oregon State is already in Stanford territory.

1:46 PM: It wasn’t a bad half for Stanford, but its halftime lead could have been larger if it didn’t commit those two turnovers.

1:44 PM: The Cardinal gave up 65 rushing yards in the first half. Not a bad stat line at all, but it hasn’t been enough to force the Beavers to be one dimensional with the passing game.

1:42 PM: Some first half stats: Kevin Hogan – 13-of-16 passing for 165 yards and a touchdown, 6 rushes for 33 yards. Stepfan Taylor – 10 carries for 78 yards and a touchdown. Zach Ertz – 4 catches for 46 yards. Stanford has out-gained Oregon State in total offense 285 yards-160 yards.

1:39 PM: Coach Shaw earlier said this week that Oregon State “doesn’t beat itself” with mistakes. That’s been true so far, as it’s the Cardinal that’s been shooting itself in the foot with turnovers.

1:35 PM: It was a tale of two quarters for Stanford. The Cardinal offense came out smooth and efficient in the first quarter, but a couple failed third-down conversions and a costly Taylor fumble took away some of that momentum it had earlier. Stanford’s defense also came out strong, but was pushed around a bit by Woods and the receivers in the second quarter.

1:30 PM: Williamson’s kick goes way wide left. Stanford heads into the locker room with a 14-10 lead.

1:28 PM: Ertz makes the 20-yard grab. Stanford uses its last timeout. Williamson comes on for a 51-yard field goal try. We know he’s got a leg, but a 51-yarder would be a career best for him.

1:27 PM: Vaz takes a big hit from Thomas. Beavers punt it away. Cardinal takes over on the Stanford 46-yard line.

1:25 PM: Taylor loses the fumble. That’s the Cardinal’s second turnover of the game. Taylor, just like Ertz, hasn’t fumbled all season. Oregon State takes over at its own 21-yard line.

1:21 PM: Cardinal all the way down to the Oregon State 21-yard line now.

1:19 PM: Taylor rumbles ahead for a 19-yard gain. With that rush, Taylor has his third consecutive 1,000-yard rushing season. No other running back in school history has accomplished that.

1:18 PM: Stanford will get the ball back on offense with 2:16 left. With one timeout remaining, let’s see what Hogan can do in the two minute drill.

1:17 PM: Chase Thomas comes up huge and knocks down Vaz’s pass. Romaine’s 20-yard field goal is GOOD and Stanford’s lead over Oregon State is shortened to 14-10.

1:11 PM: Big third down coming up. Beavers have the ball at the Stanford 2-yard line with a third-and-2. The Cardinal would love to hold Oregon State to a field goal here.

1:05 PM: The Cardinal secondary has been leaving either Wheaton or Cooks to one-on-one coverage. Might not be the greatest of ideas.

1:03 PM: Crowd attendance looking a lot better now. Could be the effects of an early kickoff time…

12:58 PM: Ertz holds on to Hogan’s pass, but the 2-yard reception is less than a yard short of the first down. First three-and-out by the Cardinal this afternoon.

12:57 PM: Stanford takes its second timeout of the half. With the Beavers offense finally getting into a rhythm on their last drive, the Cardinal can’t take its feet off the gas pedal.

12:53 PM: Woods gets a couple blocks and takes it into the end zone for a 7-yard rushing touchdown. Kostol’s PAT is GOOD and Oregon cuts into Stanford’s lead 14-7 with 10:51 left in the second quarter.

12:52 PM: Oregon State running back Storm Woods seeing some holes on this drive. Vaz also finding open receivers.

12:49 PM: Beavers showing signs of life on offense now. At the Stanford 26-yard line and driving.

12:43 PM: Oregon State earns its first first down of the game with a 15-yard catch by Wheaton. That’s the end of the first. Great start by Stanford. Offense firing on all cylinders and defense playing lights-out as usual.

12:41 PM: Hogan finds a wide-open Hewitt for a 12-yard touchdown reception. Williamson’s PAT is GOOD and the Cardinal extends its lead over the Beavers 14-0 with 0:31 left in the first quarter.

12:38 PM: Junior Anthony Wilkerson gets back-to-back carries. The entire Cardinal backfield seeing some action. Tenth first down for Stanford. Beavers defense looks baffled.

12:34 PM: Hogan shows his arm strength, but slightly overthrows Ertz and Hewitt on the last two incompletions.

12:32 PM: Cardinal offense operating seamlessly. Ryan Hewitt takes Hogan’s short pass for 24 yards.

12:31 PM: Hogan & Co. come on to the field for their third drive.

12:30 PM: Coming into the game, there’s been a lot of talk about how Oregon State’s wideout duo of Brandin Cooks and Markus Wheaton is one of the best in the nation. As the last two three-and-outs by the Beavers have shown, the Cardinal secondary has done an excellent job of covering them so far.

12:28 PM: Ed Reynolds almost gets his sixth interception of the season. He read quarterback Cody Vaz perfectly that time, just couldn’t quite finish the play.

12:27 PM: Freshman corner Alex Carter makes one heck of a tackle on Brandin Cooks that prevents what could have been a huge gain.

12:23 PM: That was a 13-play, 93-yard drive (longest of the season) that took up almost half the quarter. Classic Stanford drive.

12:19 PM: Sepfan Taylor bursts into the end zone for the 1-yard touchdown on third-and-goal. Jordan Williamson’s PAT is GOOD. Stanford takes an early 7-0 lead over Oregon State with 5:41 left in the first quarter.

12:18 PM: Hogan gains 14 on the quarterback scramble. Shaw wasn’t kidding when he said that Hogan is a dual threat. So far, he’s been playing as well as he was playing against Colorado.

12:16 PM: Ertz makes up for his previous fumble with a great 18-yard haul. Stanford enters Beavers territory for the first time today.

12:14 PM: Taylor busts out a 10-yard gain. He’s got fresh legs after getting some rest against Colorado last weekend.

12:12 PM: A great punt by Keith Kostol pins the Cardinal at its own 7-yard line. Tricky field position for Hogan to work with here.

12:09 PM: Stanford defense shuts down Oregon State for a three-and-out. The Beavers began their possession in Stanford territory. Big hold by the Cardinal D following the turnover.

12:08 PM: Hogan completes the pass to Zach Ertz, but the junior tight end fumbles the ball. Oregon State ball. That’s the first time Ertz has fumbled all season.

12:07 PM: Back-to-back runs by Hogan and Taylor give Stanford its first down of the game. It’s a very good sign for the Cardinal if it can establish the running game early.

12:05 PM: The Cardinal will start its opening drive on its own 25-yard line.

12:04 PM: In what was the big news of the week, head coach David Shaw announced that Kevin Hogan would be the starting quarterback today, replacing the inconsistent Josh Nunes. We’ll see how well the redshirt freshman handles the pressure from a stout Beavers defense today.

12:03 PM: Stanford won the coin toss and has elected to receive.

11:59 AM: The seniors are being recognized now as each of them run out of the tunnel one last time. Center Sam Schwartzstein, running back Stepfan Taylor and outside linebacker Chase Thomas are greeted with a loud applause.

11:53 AM: There were still student tickets available for the Red Zone as of last night. The entire end zone section of the Red Zone is currently empty, which is a shame considering that this is one of Stanford’s biggest games of the year and student tickets are free.

11:46 AM: It’ll be interesting to see what the crowd attendance is like today. Turnout for USC earlier this season was historic, but the crowd attendance for the Arizona and Washington State games was pitiful. With about ten minutes left until kickoff, the stadium might not even be half-filled. Plenty of orange in the visitor section, though.

11:41 AM: It’s Senior Day for the Cardinal. This will be the last time players in their last year of eligibility will play at Stanford Stadium in the regular season, and it could their last time period, unless the Cardinal reaches the Pac-12 Championship.

11:32 AM: Welcome to The Daily’s liveblog of today’s game between No. 14 Stanford and No. 11 Oregon State. The Cardinal and the Beavers clash in one of the biggest games in college football this season, with Pac-12 North Division title implications and Rose Bowl hopes on the line. We’re less than half an hour away from kickoff. Thanks for joining us everyone!

George Chen is a senior staff writer at The Stanford Daily who writes football, football and more football. Previously he worked at The Daily as the President and Editor in Chief, Executive Editor, Managing Editor of Sports, the football beat reporter and a sports desk editor. George also co-authored The Daily's recent book documenting the rise of Stanford football, "Rags to Roses." He is a senior from Painted Post, NY majoring in Biology. To contact him, please email at [email protected].