BRIEFS: Men’s basketball opens season at Oracle Arena; ‘Goose’ Anderson named to Academic All-District Team

Men’s basketball opens season tonight in Oakland

BRIEFS: Men's basketball opens season at Oracle Arena; 'Goose' Anderson named to Academic All-District Team
Junior guard Aaron Bright was Stanford’s second-leading scorer a season ago with 11.7 points per game. He will be a key piece of a Cardinal team looking to make the NCAA tourney for the first time since 2008. (SIMON WARBY/The Stanford Daily)

The last game the Stanford men’s basketball team played that counted was during NIT Finals in New York’s Madison Square Garden. Seven months after winning that tournament, the Cardinal will open its 2012-13 campaign with another matchup in an NBA venue when it meets San Francisco tonight at Oracle Arena in Oakland.

Since last March, Stanford has graduated guard Jarrett Mann as well as big men Josh Owens, Andrew Zimmermann and Jack Trotter. Junior Dwight Powell and senior Stefan Nastic will look to fill that void in the key, though neither appeared in Sunday’s exhibition win against UNC Pembroke.

The Cardinal’s three freshmen — center Grant Verhoeven, forward Rosco Allen and guard Christian Sanders — all appeared in that exhibition, shooting a combined 5-for-8 with five rebounds.

San Francisco is fresh off its first 20-win season in 30 years and will play Stanford for the first time since 2005.

Football’s Anderson named to Academic All-District Team

Stanford starting defensive end Henry Anderson was selected to the Capital One Academic All-District 8 Team on Thursday by the College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA). The junior political science major has a 3.43 grade-point average, and has recorded 3.5 sacks — fourth-best amongst Cardinal defenders — and 30 tackles this season.

—Joseph Beyda

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to the managing editor(s) of the sports staff (sports 'at' stanforddaily.com), keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.