Top 5: Binders Full of Women

The presidential debates: circular arguments, empty rhetoric, ignored moderators, the demise of Big Bird and … binders full of women? With the election only a few weeks away, the gaffes keep getting better and better. During round two of the debates between President Obama and Mitt Romney, the issue of unequal pay for women created an Internet sensation the likes of which may only be rivaled by Clint Eastwood’s chair: in order to find qualified women to fill positions in his administration when he became governor of Massachusetts (because apparently the only competent applicants were men), Romney had his staff bring him “binders full of women.” Cue the cringe.

What happened next attests to the power of social media: the phrase went viral, spawning a “Binders Full of Women” tumblr (which gained 11,000 followers within the first 24 hours), Twitter accounts, a Facebook fan page (currently with 350,000 likes) and trending hashtag #bindersfullofwomen, not to mention the endless memes. Intermission brings you our top five. They speak for themselves.

1. Top 5: Binders Full of Women2. Top 5: Binders Full of Women3. Top 5: Binders Full of Women4. Top 5: Binders Full of Women5. Top 5: Binders Full of Women