Letter to the Editor

To the Editor:

We write to respond to the article in October 18th’s Stanford Daily about the lack of rehearsal spaces for performing arts students on campus. It is very much the case that we, as a campus and a department, have a need for more rehearsal and performance spaces; however, we want to correct some of the assumptions and misstatements that appear in the article.

The statement that the new Stanford Arts Institute is in any way responsible for the lack of rehearsal space is completely erroneous. Indeed, they are major sponsors of student work and the arts initiatives on campus that are open to all. At least one of the spaces in question was reserved for Stanford Theater and Performance Studies (TAPS) classes and in fact features Stanford alumnae, who have returned to work with students as our guest artists. We therefore wish to underscore the fact that Roble is a space that prioritizes student work – particularly those of our majors, minors and graduate students. We regret any misunderstandings that may have occurred as a result of how the space was saved last spring on the website.

We are in agreement with the desire for more space for performing arts (Arrillaga Dining Hall has a room with a sprung floor!).  We are working collaboratively with the Stanford Arts Institute and other arts departments on finding new spaces and would welcome the opportunity to discuss these issues with the student groups as well.

Sincerely,

Jennifer DeVere Brody, Chair of the Department of Theater and Performance

Tony Kramer, Facilities Coordinator