M. Soccer: Cardinal heads to Pacific Northwest for important Pac-12 contests

After two straight wins in Pac-12 play, including a resounding 2-0 victory over rival California last week, the men’s soccer team heads out on the road this weekend trying to maintain its momentum.
Stanford (5-5, 2-1 Pac-12) is third in the league standings at the moment but can move up this weekend with good results against Washington (7-3-2, 2-0-1) and Oregon State (6-4-1, 1-2).

Senior Adam Jahn (above) leads the team in goals and will be an important factor in two critical Pac-12 matches for Stanford this weekend against Washington and Oregon State (Stanford Daily File Photo).
First up tonight for the Cardinal are the Beavers, who knocked off San Diego State last weekend for their first conference win. Oregon State is always tough to beat at home, and true to form has won all four of its home matches this year.
Emery Welshman has been the man for OSU, as he leads the league in points (17) and goals (seven), more than double the next highest scorer on the team. But the Beavers have also been stout in goal, as keeper Matt Bersano leads the Pac-12 with a miniscule 0.81 goals against average.
On Sunday, however, Stanford will have to contend with another high-octane scorer in Washington’s Dylan Tucker-Ganges, who is tied with Welshman for the conference lead with seven goals.
But it was less heralded players who helped the Huskies to the upset of the soccer season thus far. Michael Gallagher and Nate Sackeyfio scored a goal each as Washington held off No. 8 UCLA last weekend on the road in Los Angeles.
Tonight’s matchup against Oregon State will get under way at 7 p.m. from Corvallis, Ore., with Sunday’s match against the Huskies slated to kick off at noon on the Pac-12 Network.

Miles Bennett-Smith is Chief Operating Officer at The Daily. An avid sports fan from Penryn, Calif., Miles graduated in 2013 with a Bachelor's degree in American Studies. He has previously served as the Editor in Chief and President at The Daily. He has also worked as a reporter for The Sacramento Bee. Email him at [email protected]