IBF order Froch-Groves rematch

The IBF have ordered Carl Froch

to defend his super-middleweight champion title against George Groves in a rematch in the next 90 days – or face being stripped of his belt. After the
controversial nature of Froch’s victory in the first fight in November, the IBF have stepped in to order the Nottingham fighter to meet Groves again within
90 days or vacate his title.

After dominating the majority of the first fight, including a stunning first round knockdown, Groves saw his world title dreams dashed in the ninth round
when referee Howard Foster Jr saw fit to wave off the fight after Froch began to pile some pressure on his opponent, hugely disappointing the watching Unibet boxing betting fans. Although the referee was one of the only people watching the fight who
felt that was the right decision, Groves was forced to make an appeal to the IBF in the hope of gaining an immediate rematch.

The IBF and WBA super-middleweight champion had been rumoured to be lining up a Las Vegas mega-fight against Julio Cesar Chavez Jr, although Froch’s
promoter Matchroom Sport have admitted they made an unsuccessful offer to Groves before the IBF’s decision.

Groves admitted he was pleased with the IBF’s decision, which will now see him definitely fight for a world title in his next fight, although it remains to
be seen whether it will be against Froch.

“The fact I’m mandatory now is the most important thing. As long as myself and Carl want this fight, the fight will take place.”

“If he doesn’t want this fight, then the fight won’t take place but I’ll still fight for a world title. That’s what’s most important to me – fighting for a
world title. I want to fight Carl Froch but to a certain degree, that’s out of my hands.