Sprinkler triggered in Storey, residents unhoused for one night

The fire alarm was triggered before 1:00 a.m. Sunday night at Storey House. The sprinkler went off in a single room on the third floor and water, which one resident described as dirty and murky, seeped down into two rooms below the original room and into an adjacent third floor room.

Residents were unable to access their rooms for one night; most found other sleeping arrangements for the rest of Sunday night and Monday morning. Stanford Housing coordinated with Storey’s staff to make arrangements for unhoused residents. By 3:00 a.m., all residents either had found housing or had received information from staff members about alternate housing locations.

Firefighters on the scene predicted the house would be open on Monday after the water has been cleared, but were unable specify a time. The house was opened to residents at 8:36 a.m.

The four rooms affected by water damage are being dehumidified before those residents can return. Some pieces of wall at floor-level had to be removed due to water damage. There are also reports of significant water damage to personal property in the affected rooms.

This story will be updated throughout the day.

Brendan is a senior staff writer at The Stanford Daily. Previously he was the executive editor, the deputy editor, a news desk editor and a writer for the news section. He's a history major originally from New Orleans.