Full Moons past

Late 1800s

The Full Moon on the Quad (FMOTQ) tradition begins with senior boys and freshman girls exchanging a kiss and a rose at midnight on the Quad.

Until 1980s

In the decades prior to 1980, it was common for FMOTQ to include dinners, dances and bands but the event began to lose its structure and formality in the ’80s.

1989

Senior class presidents Julie Lythcott-Haims ’89 and Preston Hammer ’89 decide to make FMOTQ “classier” by incorporating elements such as champagne and orchestras.

2003

An infamous year for FMOTQ: Five hospitalizations, one arrest for driving under the influence and one arrest for public intoxication lead University officials to consider shutting down the event entirely in the future.

2004

The University decides to let the event continue but exerts more control and restrictions. Warnings against excessive drinking are given out, more police forces dispatched and only Stanford students allowed admittance. An initiative called Absolute Fun promotes non-alcoholic alternatives.

2009

FMOTQ cancelled due to the outbreak of swine flu. The event resumed in 2010.

2012

FMOTQ to commence in the Main Quad at 9 p.m.