Weekend update: Stanford teams go a perfect 9-0, beat four ranked opponents over three-day stretch

The No. 25 Stanford football team may have dominated Duke on Saturday, but Cardinal sports teams had a great all-around weekend as well, going a combined 9-0 from Friday to Sunday in a stretch that included four showdowns with ranked opponents.

The No. 5 Stanford women’s soccer team was honored at halftime of Saturday’s football game for its 2011 national title, but more importantly for head coach Paul Ratcliffe and Co., the squad won both of its games this weekend. (SIMON WARBY/The Stanford Daily)

No. 8 women’s volleyball (6-2) swept the Stanford Invitational, starting with a quick 25-10, 25-15, 25-14 win over Santa Clara on Friday night. Freshman outside hitter Jordan Burgess built on that nine-kill, nine-dig performance with 13 more kills in a four-set win over Loyola the following morning (25-16, 25-27, 25-15, 25-15), and junior blocker Carly Wopat tallied 17 kills that afternoon against Pacific to earn tournament MVP honors after the Cardinal’s, 25-16, 25-22, 25-17 victory.

No. 16 field hockey had perhaps the most impressive weekend of any Stanford team, registering one-goal wins over two ranked opponents to move to 5-3 on the season and extend its winning streak to four. A 3-2 triumph over No. 10 Iowa on Friday was followed by a 2-1 victory against No. 18 Drexel on Sunday, with five different goal-scorers contributing over the weekend.

Stanford’s fifth-ranked women’s soccer team also won twice to improve to 4-1-1. Senior defender Alina Garciamendez scored the only goal of a 1-0 win over Boston in the 89th minute on Friday before an unexpected 6-0 blowout of No. 23 Georgetown on Sunday afternoon. Garciamendez—who only had two career goals coming into 2012—notched another against the Hoyas for her third of the young season, while fellow senior Mariah Nogueira chipped in two scores to remain tied for the team lead in goals (four) on the season.

But it was the unranked Cardinal men’s soccer team that had perhaps the most surprising win of the weekend. Stanford knocked off No. 11 UC-Irvine 2-0 on Friday, getting goals from seniors Adam Jahn and Dersu Abolfathi to improve to 2-2 on the season.

—Joseph Beyda

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to the managing editor(s) of the sports staff (sports 'at' stanforddaily.com), keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.