M. Soccer: Cardinal downs Sacramento State 3-0 in exhibition

Aug. 16, 2012, 1:30 a.m.

The Stanford men’s soccer squad defeated Sacramento State 3-0 in Tuesday night’s exhibition opener at Cagan Stadium.

The game remained scoreless until the 42nd minute, when freshman midfielder Ty Thompson capitalized off a well-placed low ball from another freshman midfielder, Aaron Kovar.

The team got off to a slow start for the majority of the first half, equaling the seven shots taken by the Hornets. However, the Cardinal offense came to life in the second half, as it outshot Sacramento State by a margin of 18-2.

Kovar scored on an assist from senior forward Adam Jahn in the 66th minute to increase Stanford’s lead to 2-0. Senior defender Hunter Gorskie then sealed the game 15 minutes later by helping senior Dersu Abolfathi’s corner kick find the back of the net.

Stanford will square off against Saint Mary’s at 7 p.m. this Saturday night at Cagan Stadium for its last exhibition match before regular-season play begins.

George Chen

George Chen is a senior staff writer at The Stanford Daily who writes football, football and more football. Previously he worked at The Daily as the President and Editor in Chief, Executive Editor, Managing Editor of Sports, the football beat reporter and a sports desk editor. George also co-authored The Daily's recent book documenting the rise of Stanford football, "Rags to Roses." He is a senior from Painted Post, NY majoring in Biology. To contact him, please email at [email protected].