Olympic update: Medal count climbs for Stanford athletes

Aug. 9, 2012, 1:40 a.m.

Stanford student-athletes and alumni are busy competing at the Games of the XXX Olympiad in London. Here are some of the highlights from Day 7 to Day 15:

Beach volleyball:

Third-seeded Kerri Walsh Jennings ’00 and Misty May-Treanor defeated Austrian sisters Doris and Stefanie Schwaiger 17-21, 21-8, 15-10 on Aug. 1. Walsh Jennings made 11 kills with four blocks and three service aces.

Kerri Walsh '00 (above) won her third consecutive Olympic gold medal with her partner Misty May-Treanor in Olympic women's beach volleyball as they defeated Jennifer Kessy and April Ross 21-6, 21-6 in an All-American final on Wednesday. (ROD SEARCEY/Stanfordphotos.com)

In the first round of elimination, they posted a 21-13, 21-12 win over Marleen van Iersel and Sanne Keizer of the Netherlands at Horse Guards Parade. Walsh Jennings finished with six kills, four blocks and three digs.

Walsh Jennings and May-Treanor then defeated Italy’s No. 7 Greta Cicolari and Marta Menegatti 21-13, 21-13 to advance to the semifinals. Walsh Jennings recorded 14 kills, five digs and two blocks.

The American duo claimed their third straight Olympic gold medal in beach volleyball by defeating Jennifer Kessy and April Ross 21-16, 21-16 in an all-American final on Wednesday.

Women’s diving:

Cassidy Krug ’07 placed 10th in the preliminaries of the 3-meter springboard with a score of 320.10.

She finished fifth in the Aug. 4 semifinal with an improved score of 345.60 to qualify for the final.

Equestrian:

Incoming freshman Nina Ligon of Thailand finished 41st following the July 31 showjumping portion of the individual event finals.

Women’s gymnastics:

On July 31, rising sophomore Kristina Vaculik helped the Canadian team to a fifth-place finish, its best-ever team result. She scored 14.166 on the uneven bars to tie for 16th and 13.433 on the balance beam to place 20th.

Men’s rowing:

U.S. men’s eight crewmembers David Banks ’05 and Jake Cornelius ’05 contributed to a fourth-place finish of 5:51.48 in the gold medal final.

Silas Stafford ’08 and partner Tom Peszek finished fourth in the first semifinal on Aug. 1 with a time of 6:58.58. They finished second in the B Final of the men’s pair on Aug. 3 with a time of 6:53.30 to place eighth overall.

Women’s rowing:

Elle Logan ’11 helped the U.S. women’s eight defend its 2008 Olympic title on Aug. 2, posting a gold medal-winning time of 6:10.59.

Men’s soccer:

Ryan Nelsen and Team New Zealand were eliminated from competition on Wednesday after a 3-0 loss to Brazil, finishing group play 0-2-1.

Women’s soccer:

Ali Riley ’10 played at left outside back to help the New Zealand team beat Cameroon 3-0 in its first-ever victory at the Olympic Games.

Team USA co-captain Rachel Buehler ’07, playing at central defense, and Kelley O’Hara ’10, playing at right outside back, helped the United States secure a 1-0 victory over North Korea on July 31. Three days later, the United States defeated New Zealand 2-0 in the quarterfinal with Riley and O’Hara playing all 90 minutes.

The U.S. defeated Canada 4-3 in the final seconds of extra time in the Aug. 6 semifinal, guaranteeing at least a silver medal. O’Hara continued her streak of playing every minute of every match, while Buehler was replaced in the second overtime after a collision.

Former Stanford goalkeeper Nicole Barnhart ’04, backing up America’s Hope Solo, has not yet seen action.

Men’s swimming:

David Dunford ’10 of Kenya failed to qualify for the semifinals of the 100-meter freestyle, as his time of 49.60 was just the third best in his heat on July 31. He raced again in the fifth heat of the 50-meter freestyle competition, finishing third with a time of 22.72, but again did not qualify for the semifinals.

Jason Dunford ’09 finished fourth in the fifth heat of the 100-meter butterfly on Aug. 2 with a time of 52.23. He improved slightly in the semifinal with a time of 52.16 but was unable to advance to the final.

Tobias Oriwol ’06 of Canada and Markus Rogan ’04 of Austria competed in the 4×200-meter freestyle relay on July 31, with Canada taking seventh (7:15.22) and Austria eighth (7:17.94) in the second preliminary heat. Neither country’s time ranked in the top eight and they both failed to qualify for the final.

Oriwol and Rogan competed again on Aug. 1. Oriwol finished fourth in the third preliminary heat of the 200-meter backstroke with a time of 1:58.06. He finished seventh in the second semifinal with a time of 1:58.74, for an overall finish of 13th in the event. Rogan placed third in the 200-meter individual medley preliminary heat but was disqualified in the semifinal for an illegal turn.

Synchronized swimming:

The American duo of Maria Koroleva ’12 and Mary Killman scored 87.900 points in the preliminary technical routine at the London Aquatics Centre to place 10th, totaling 43.700 points in execution and 44.200 in overall impression.

Koroleva and Killman scored 88.270 points to place 11th in the free routine on Aug. 5 and are in 10th place in the overall standings at 176.170. They tallied 44.070 for artistic impression to qualify for the final, where the pair finished 11th overall.

Women’s water polo:

On Aug. 1, Annika Dries ’14, Melissa Seidemann ’14, Maggie Steffens ’16 and Brenda Villa ’03 each netted a goal, as Team USA and Spain settled for a 9-9 draw.

Melissa Seidemann '13 (above) posted a hat trick in Team USA's 9-6 win over Italy in the quarterfinal round of the Olympic women's water polo tournament. Seidemann and her US teammates will square off against Spain in the gold medal match on Thursday. (IAN GARCIA-DOTY/The Stanford Daily)

Steffens led Team USA with a hat trick to help defeat China 7-6 on Aug. 3. Dries, Seidemann and Villa also saw some playing time, with Stanford players scoring four of Team USA’s seven goals.

Stanford alumnae accounted for six of the team’s nine goals in a 9-6 quarterfinal win over Italy on Aug. 5. Seidemann posted a hat trick and Steffens and Villa also scored goals, while Dries helped out on defense.

The US beat Australia 11-9 in overtime during Tuesday’s semifinal match to advance to the gold medal game against Spain today. Steffens scored one of the team’s two overtime goals.

Men’s tennis:

Top-seeded Bob Bryan ’98 and Mike Bryan ’98 defeated Russia’s Nikolay Davydenko and Mikhail Youzhny in straight sets 7-6 (6), 7-6 (1) on July 31 in a second-round doubles match played at Wimbledon. The Bryans then defeated Israel’s unseeded duo of Jonathan Erlich and Andy Ram 7-6 (4), 7-6 (10) on Aug. 2 to advance to the semifinals.

In the Aug. 3 semis, they defeated France’s Julien Benneteau and Richard Gasquet 6-4, 6-4. The brothers then captured their first career gold medal on Aug. 4, defeating France’s Michael Llodra and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 6-4, 7-6 (2).

Mixed doubles tennis:

Mike Bryan ’98 teamed with Lisa Raymond on Aug. 1 for a 7-5, 6-3 victory over Italy’s Sara Errani and Andreas Seppi, and the third-seeded pair defeated Argentina’s Gisela Dulko and Juan Martin del Potro 6-2, 7-5 in a quarterfinal match on Aug. 3.

Bryan and Raymond dropped their Aug. 4 semifinal match to top-seeded Victoria Azarenka and Max Mirnyi of Belarus 3-6, 6-4, 10-7, but still captured the bronze medal with a 6-3, 4-6, 10-4 victory over the German pair of Sabine Lisicki and Christopher Kas on Aug. 5.

Track and field:

Amaechi Morton ’12 of Nigeria qualified for the semifinals of the 400-meter hurdles with a time of 49.34 in the first heat, but pulled up with an apparent injury on Aug. 4 and could not make the finals.

Katerina Stefanidi ’12 of Greece cleared 13 feet, 11 1/4 inches (4.25 m) in the pole vault on Aug. 4 but did not advance to the final.

Jillian Camarena-Williams placed eighth in Group A on Aug. 6 with a toss of 59-5 1/2 in the shot put and failed to qualify for the final round.

Women’s volleyball:

Team USA, featuring Foluke Akinradewo ’09 and Logan Tom ’03, defeated China 26-24, 25-16, 31-29 on Aug. 1. Akinradewo tallied eight kills with a pair of blocks, while Tom had five kills, two blocks and a pair of aces.

The United States swept Serbia 25-17, 25-20, 25-16 on Aug. 3 as Akinradewo registered six kills and five blocks and Tom recorded 10 kills and two blocks.

Team USA wrapped up Pool B play with a 27-25, 25-16, 25-19 win over Turkey on Sunday. Akinradewo finished with nine kills, five blocks and an ace, while Tom tallied five kills and a block.

Men’s water polo:

Peter Varellas ’06 recorded his second-straight hat trick, Tony Azevedo ’05 added a goal and Layne Beaubien ’99 and Peter Hudnut ’03 played on defense to help the United States defeat Romania 10-8 on July 31.

The U.S. improved to 3-0 with a 13-7 victory over Great Britain on Aug. 2. Team captain Azevedo scored four times as he and Varellas each accounted for third-period goals.

Team USA lost to Serbia 11-6 on Aug. 4. Azevedo and Varellas each netted a goal, while Beaubien and Hudnut assisted on defense. They secured a spot in the quarterfinals with Romania’s loss to Montenegro.

The U.S. was again defeated on Aug. 6, losing 11-6 to Hungary in its final game of pool play. Azevedo, Beaubien and Hudnut each scored a goal.

The Americans then lost to Croatia 8-2 in the quarterfinal round after falling into a 5-0 hole early in the game.