W. Tennis: Two weeks after first WTA title, Burdette crowned again at Vancouver Open

Aug. 6, 2012, 9:25 a.m.

Senior Mallory Burdette won the second WTA title of her career on Saturday, dominating American Jessica Pegula 6-3, 6-0 in the finals of the Odium Brown Vancouver Open. With the win, she also secured a wild card spot in the main draw of the U.S. Open, which begins on Aug. 27.

Senior Mallory Burdette has now won her first two WTA titles in just 14 days after breezing through the Vancouver Open. Still, the amateur won't be cashing any winnings checks just yet, as the reigning NCAA doubles champion and singles runner-up has a year of eligibility left. (SIMON WARBY/The Stanford Daily)

“I was talking to my sister last night,” Burdette said after the match. “We knew the points race was close but I didn’t actually know that if I won this match I’d for sure have [the U.S. Open berth].”

Burdette eased through the qualifying, dropping just five games over her three matches, and was a stifling force in her first and second-round matches, winning both 6-0, 6-1. She had a harder time in the quarterfinals against Austrian three-seed Bojana Bobusic, but escaped with a 6-4, 7-6 (4) victory and headed to the semis.

After a 6-3, 6-2 win over American wild-card Julia Elbaba, Burdette faced off against Pegula, who she had defeated 7-5, 6-0 in the second round of an event in Lexington, Ky. two weeks ago.

At 2-2 in the first set, Pegula grabbed the lead with an early break but failed to hold serve again herself, as Burdette won the next 10 games for the title.

Though the $200,000 Vancouver event carries a $15,200 prize for the winner, the three-time All-American and two-time NCAA doubles champion — who still has a year of eligibility left — played as an amateur and turned down the money, except for her expenses.

Just two weeks ago, Burdette won the Women’s Hospital Tennis Classic, a $10,000 event, in Evansville, Ind. She also had an impressive showing at Stanford’s own Bank of the West Classic, getting through the first round before falling to two-seed Marion Bartoli 7-5, 6-0.

—Joseph Beyda

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to the managing editor(s) of the sports staff (sports 'at' stanforddaily.com), keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.