W. Tennis: Burdette wins her first major professional tournament

Rising senior Mallory Burdette won the singles draw of the Women’s Hospital 2012 Tennis Classic in Evansville, Ind., this past Sunday.

Burdette defeated No. 1 Ying-Ying Duan of China 6-1, 6-2 to claim the first major professional tournament victory of her career. She easily moved past the qualifying rounds before winning five more main draw matches to take the $10,000 Pro Circuit event.

Her win comes on the heels of an impressive outing at the second round of the Bank of the West Classic tournament, where she jumped out to a 5-2 lead in the first set before losing against world No. 10 Marion Bartoli.

George Chen

George Chen

George Chen

George Chen is a senior staff writer at The Stanford Daily who writes football, football and more football. Previously he worked at The Daily as the President and Editor in Chief, Executive Editor, Managing Editor of Sports, the football beat reporter and a sports desk editor. George also co-authored The Daily's recent book documenting the rise of Stanford football, "Rags to Roses." He is a senior from Painted Post, NY majoring in Biology. To contact him, please email at gchen15@stanford.edu.