Football: Nonconference series with Big Ten called off

The series of football games between the Pac-12 and Big Ten that was to begin in 2017 was suddenly cancelled Friday after several Pac-12 schools raised scheduling concerns.

The original plan called for a multi-year round robin between the two conferences, but the Pac-12’s nine-game conference schedule — compared to the eight played by its Rose Bowl counterpart — made the arrangement impractical. For some schools involved in long-term contracts with other nonconference teams — Stanford and USC, for example, play Notre Dame every year — adding yet another required contest to their yearly slate did not provide enough flexibility.

An additional series with a BCS conference would have also made it harder for struggling teams to qualify for postseason play, as they would have one fewer nonconference game against a weak, non-BCS squad.

—Joseph Beyda

The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to the managing editor(s) of the sports staff (sports 'at' stanforddaily.com), keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.