Lea Maurer steps down from women’s swimming and diving head coach position

July 5, 2012, 1:31 a.m.

Stanford women’s swimming and diving head coach Lea Maurer announced her resignation on Tuesday, citing her wish to devote more time to her family as the reason for her departure.

The former Stanford swimmer took over the head coach position during the 2005-2006 season. Since then, the Cardinal has finished in the top five at the NCAA Championships and in the top three at the Pac-10/12 Championships every year.

Maurer also led Stanford to three undefeated dual-meet regular seasons in the seven seasons she coached. With Maurer at the helm, the Cardinal has lost only five times out of the 71 total dual meets that it has competed in, amassing a regular season record of 66-5.

During this past season, Stanford garnered 36 All-America honors and produced two NCAA champions. The team also finished second at the Pac-12 Championships, on the heels of winning two consecutive conference championships in 2010 and 2011. Maurer leaves after having coached a total of 13 NCAA champions and 37 conference champions.

Outside of coaching at Stanford, Maurer was part of the U.S. team’s coaching staff for the 2007 Pan American Games.

Maurer’s resignation came less than two months after men’s swimming and diving head coach Skip Kenney announced his retirement.

George Chen

George Chen is a senior staff writer at The Stanford Daily who writes football, football and more football. Previously he worked at The Daily as the President and Editor in Chief, Executive Editor, Managing Editor of Sports, the football beat reporter and a sports desk editor. George also co-authored The Daily's recent book documenting the rise of Stanford football, "Rags to Roses." He is a senior from Painted Post, NY majoring in Biology. To contact him, please email at [email protected].