Men’s golf wraps up third round of NCAA championship

June 1, 2012, 1:45 a.m.

The Stanford men’s golf team shot a third-round score of 290 on Thursday at the NCAA championship, its best score of the tournament, but not enough to push the Cardinal into the final eight-team match-play portion of the tournament, played at Riviera Country Club in Pacific Palisades, Calif.

Junior Andrew Yun (above) had the Cardinal’s best score with a one-under 70 on Thursday of the NCAA men’s golf championship. Despite posting its best score of the tournament yesterday, Stanford failed to qualify for the final eight-team match-play portion of the tournament. (HECTOR GARCIA-MOLINA/Stanfordphoto.com)

Stanford finished 19th overall with a final score of 885 (+33), tied with the University of Central Florida and 10 shots out of the top eight.

Freshman Patrick Rodgers continued his solid play once again on Thursday, recording a third-round 73 (+2) to leave him tied for ninth place. Rodgers is six shots behind leader Thomas Pieters of Ill., whose three-round total of 208 (-5) is good enough for a three-shot lead over Julien Brun of TCU. Stanford junior and Pac-12 individual champion Andrew Yun had the Cardinal’s lowest score of the day with a one-under 70.

The Cardinal’s season now ends in disappointing fashion, without a Pac-12 or national title. Stanford’s last NCAA championship victory was in 2007, before the tournament moved to its current format, where a match-play finale among the top eight teams decides the winner.

Jack Blanchat

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to the managing editor(s) of the sports staff (sports 'at' stanforddaily.com), keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.