Appel, Piscotty named to All-Pac-12 team

Stanford’s top pitcher and top hitter both made the 25-man All-Pac-12 baseball team after strong junior seasons.

Junior Stephen Piscotty (above) was named to the All-Pac-12 after ranking third in the conference in RBI and becoming a successful starting pitcher for the Cardinal. (IAN GARCIA-DOTY/The Stanford Daily)

Mark Appel, the conference’s leader in strikeouts with 116, has met the extraordinarily high expectations he has been given for his third and likely final year on the Farm. Picked by many to be the top overall pick in next month’s MLB draft, Appel has stepped up to the challenge, going 9-1 with a 2.37 ERA as Stanford’s Friday starter. He has gone at least seven innings in 13 of his 14 starts, and he has given up two earned runs or fewer in 12 of those starts.

Stephen Piscotty, another projected first-round draft pick, has been one of Stanford’s best hitters throughout his time on the Farm, and this year he has had to take on an additional load. The team’s starting third baseman at the start of the year, Piscotty has shifted to left field and pitcher, where he has excelled as both a starter and reliever. At the plate, Piscotty hit .319 with 54 RBI, good for third in the conference. On the mound, Piscotty has won all three of his weekend starts while compiling a 2.28 ERA.

In addition, sophomores Brian Ragira and Austin Wilson were named as honorable mentions for the second straight year. Ragira has started every game at first base and hit .318, while Wilson has manned right field every game and smashed a team-high nine home runs. The duo has also combined for 93 RBI.

– Jacob Jaffe

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to the managing editor(s) of the sports staff (sports 'at' stanforddaily.com), keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.