Stanford to begin construction on Arastradero Trail

The University announced Tuesday that it will soon begin construction on a $1.05 million trail stretching from Arastradero Road to the Arastradero Preserve, after receiving approval from the Los Altos Hills City Council earlier this month.

Planning and discussion of the trail between Los Altos Hills and Stanford started in 2006, following agreements made that year with Santa Clara County under the University’s General Use Permit, which places a limit on Stanford’s expansion. The trail, however, faced a postponement due to a lawsuit from the Committee for Green Foothills.

In 2010, Stanford won the case and continued its collaboration with Los Altos Hills, culminating in the offer’s acceptance on May 17. The University will directly oversee the construction of the trail, which will include a five-foot-wide unpaved pedestrian walkway and two full-sized bike lanes.

Los Altos Hills Town Council Member Ginger Summit told the Stanford Report that she is eager for Stanford’s renovations in the designated area.

“Through the years, this stretch of narrow road has become increasingly congested with commuter traffic, bicycles and hikers, creating a very dangerous challenge,” Summit said. “With the Stanford involvement, at last we have been able to find a workable solution that addresses the safety concerns of neighbors, pedestrians, equestrians, bikers and the auto traffic.”

— Ileana Najarro