Stanford engineers publish wind energy study

Stanford engineers recently published a study in Geophysical Research Letters highlighting their efforts using a weather model to suggest the best placement of four interconnected wind farms off the eastern coast of the United States.

The four potential locations recommended in the study came from a selection of 12 and were chosen based on their access to consistent sea breezes.

The final grid has a total potential maximum capacity of 2,000 megawatts. Each of the potential farms would have about 100 turbines providing about 500 megawatts each.

Mark Z. Jacobson, senior author of the study and professor of civil and environmental engineering, said in an article in the Stanford Report that these figures are still theoretical due to unpredicted conditions that may arise.

“Two thousand megawatts and four farms are somewhat arbitrary figures,” Jacobson said. “The sizes and locations could be adjusted for economic, environmental and policy considerations.”

Jacobson said that he hopes the study will serve a greater purpose in policymaking for energy demands on a national level.

“This paper should be seen as a tool for energy planners to better inform their renewable energy decisions across a densely populated area,” he said. “It is an opportunity to collaborate on a shared system that reduces costs while benefiting a large and important center of electrical demand in the U.S.”

— Ileana Najarro