Stanford’s Bing Concert Hall announces opening performance line-up

The University announced Tuesday the list of musical performers who will first grace Stanford’s Bing Concert Hall after it open its doors on Jan. 11, 2013. The San Francisco Symphony, Philharmonia Baroque Orchestra, Los Lobos and the St. Lawrence String Quartet will all play in a series of ticketed and free performances during the concert hall’s opening week, according to a University press release.

Pianists Emanuel Ax and Jon Nakamatsu, cellist Yo-Yo Ma with pianist Kathryn Stott and percussionist Glenn Kotche are also scheduled to perform later in the season. The University said that the full opening season list of performers will be released this spring, and subscription sales will be opened to the public shortly after.

In addition to these performances, the hall will also showcase student and faculty work.

“Not only will the hall provide a new venue in the Bay Area for a wide range of performances, but also it will accentuate the intersection of programming with the research and teaching mission of Stanford and engage the community — being situated at the gateway to campus — as an accessible arts destination,” said Wiley Hausam, managing director of the Bing Concert Hall, in the press release.

The hall will form part of the arts district on campus centered around Palm Drive, which will be completed with the opening of the Anderson Collection at Stanford in 2014 and the McMurtry Art and Art History building in 2015.

— Ileana Najarro