Brief: Stanford’s Ogwumike and Thacher nab Pac-12 Player of the Week awards

Senior Ryan Thacher shone in just his second career match playing at the No. 1 spot for the men's tennis team, earning Pac-12 Player of the Week honors. (KOR VANG/The Stanford Daily)

On the heels of a pair of impressive weekend performances, women’s basketball sophomore forward Chiney Ogwumike joined men’s tennis senior Ryan Thacher as Bank of the West Pac-12 Players of the Week in their respective sports.

It was the second consecutive honor for Ogwumike, who averaged 17 points and 11.5 rebounds in Stanford’s home sweep of the Washington schools over the weekend. She also shot a remarkably efficient 68.4 percent from the field while piling up her seventh and eighth double-doubles on the season for the No. 4 Cardinal.

Thacher stepped up big on a different court for Stanford, playing just his second career match at the No. 1 spot for the men’s tennis team with two-time All-American Bradley Klahn unavailable due to injury.

But the Studio City, Calif. native rallied from a first-set deficit against Japie De Klerk to clinch Stanford’s tight 4-3 victory over No. 23 Tulsa on Friday afternoon. And he followed that up with a nice win over Jose Hernandez as the No. 6 Cardinal sent No. 20 North Carolina packing on Saturday.

Miles Bennett-Smith

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to the managing editor(s) of the sports staff (sports 'at' stanforddaily.com), keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.