Top 5: Reasons you’re not getting any work done

Happy week two! By now, you might be wondering why you signed up for 20 units when it feels so cold while biking that you can’t even motivate yourself to go to the library. That class-drop deadline you labeled on your calendar is moving closer and closer…but we can tell you why you’re really not getting anything accomplished.

The three-day weekend

Three-day weekends are the most deceptive periods of relaxation known to college students. If you’re anything like us at Intermission, you either told yourself you were going to work a week ahead during that extra day off only to do no work, or you went on ski trip, in which case you didn’t even bother to bring anything remotely academic along with you.

The weather

Thirty-five degree temperatures and 9 a.m. classes don’t work well together. Throw in a little rain and all of a sudden, you can count the number of times you actually show up to that lecture on one hand. It’s a win-win situation–until the final.

Any reminders of winter break

This is a public service announcement: please delete all holiday stations from your Pandora channel ASAP. Nothing says “Ebenezer Scrooge” more than trying to do The Problem Set From Hell while listening to Michael Bublé croon to you, “From now on, our troubles will be miles away.”

Your partying roommate

Let’s face it, this may be the one time during the entire quarter that all of your friends insist on partying together. Either that or you got so frustrated with your frat-hard-frat-often roommate stumbling in at 3 a.m. that you decided give up on any work. YOLO.

SOPA blackout

This past Wednesday became one of the darkest days in frantic-last-minute-essay history. How is anyone supposed to do research without Wikipedia?