Women’s soccer players join national teams

Five of Stanford’s national-champion soccer players will be practicing with national teams next week, with three representing the United States and another pair playing for Mexico.

Freshman forward Chioma Ubogagu has been in Chula Vista, Calif. since last Thursday with the U.S. Under-20 squad, which is getting ready for the CONCACAF Qualifying Tournament in early March.

Forward Lindsay Taylor and defender Camille Levin, both seniors, will travel to Florida for the U.S. Under-23 team’s camp starting Sunday. Levin had the assist on senior midfielder Teresa Noyola’s game-winning goal in the College Cup Final on Dec. 4, while Taylor was the Cardinal’s leading scorer with 20 tallies last season.

Meanwhile, Noyola and junior defender Alina Garciamendez will be preparing for the CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying Tournament in Vancouver, once again representing Mexico after the duo appeared in last summer’s World Cup. Noyola was awarded the Hermann Trophy last week after a nine-goal, 15-assist senior season on the Farm.

—Joseph Beyda

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to the managing editor(s) of the sports staff (sports 'at' stanforddaily.com), keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.