Stanford baseball trio named preseason All-Americans

The junior trio of pitcher Mark Appel, third baseman Stephen Piscotty and shortstop Kenny Diekroeger were all named preseason All-Americans over the break, leaving the Cardinal with lofty expectations heading into the 2012 season.

Junior shortstop Kenny Diekroeger is one of three Stanford baseball players named a preseason first-team All-American, along with pitcher Mark Appel and third baseman Stephen Piscotty. (IAN GARCIA-DOTY/The Stanford Daily)

Appel—who many analysts have predicted will be a top-five pick in June’s MLB Draft—and Diekroeger—who is a potential first-round pick—were both selected to Collegiate Baseball’s All-American teams, with Appel earning first team honors and Diekroeger finding his way onto the second team.

They join Piscotty, who was named a first team All-American by the National Collegiate Baseball Writer’s Association.

After losing to North Carolina in the NCAA Super Regional last season, the Cardinal figures to be a mainstay in the national title picture this year after returning seven positional starters and the majority of its weekend rotation. Pollsters have certainly taken notice—Stanford is ranked No. 3 in Collegiate Baseball’s preseason poll, the highest ranking for the program since being No. 1 in the 2002 preseason.

The team will face several stiff tests early on, as No. 5 Texas and No. 7 Rice are both on the Cardinal’s non-conference schedule, as well as No. 23 Vanderbilt.

Stanford’s season kicks off on Feb. 17, when the Commodores visit the Farm for a three-game series at Sunken Diamond.

– Miles Bennett-Smith

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to the managing editor(s) of the sports staff (sports 'at' stanforddaily.com), keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.