All-District teams select Browne, Abolfathi

This week, senior middle blocker Stephanie Browne and junior forward Dersu Abolfathi were selected to the Capital One Academic All-District VIII teams for women’s volleyball and men’s soccer, respectively.

One of the Pac-12’s top blockers, Browne graduated in June with a degree in political science and is currently working on a master’s degree in sociology. She has a 3.95 GPA and will appear on the ballot for 2011 Academic All-American honors after being selected to the All-District First Team last season as well as the Second Team as a sophomore in 2009. She has helped the Cardinal to two conference titles and a No. 3 ranking in the AVCA Coaches Poll this year.

A symbolic systems major, Abolfathi carries a 3.75 GPA and was a member of the Pac-10 All-Academic First Team. This year he has scored three goals while starting all 17 games for Stanford — he is also ranked third on the squad in points.

—Joseph Beyda

The Daily Sports Staff is the collective moniker of an overworked, beleaguered, underpaid collection of sportswriters that feel comfortable enough with their own self-identities to give up any sense of individualism for the good of the sports section. To contact The Daily Sports Staff, send an email to the managing editor(s) of the sports staff (sports 'at' stanforddaily.com), keepers of the souls of those sportswriters.