Bloomberg reveals final seven NYC campus proposals

In a press conference Monday, Mayor Michael Bloomberg announced the final seven proposals that were submitted to the New York City Economic Development Corporation (NYCED) to build an applied science campus in the city. The proposals were due by Oct. 28.

Bloomberg also took the time to refute the notion that the contest was exclusively between Stanford and Cornell University. Both universities revealed bids last week that would utilize space on Roosevelt Island and cost $2.5 billion and $1 billion, respectively.

“There is no one front-runner,” Bloomberg said. “Anyone who thinks that they have it locked up is making a bad mistake.”

While the city received seven proposals in total, the bids came from 15 different universities — with many institutions partnering together to submit a proposal. Cornell filed a dual proposal with the Technion-Israel Institute of Technology.

Stanford ventured into a partnership with the City University of New York (CUNY) and City College of New York (CCNY). Stanford@CCNY would help launch the proposed Roosevelt Island campus, although the partnership was formed outside of Stanford’s formal proposal.

Carnegie Mellon University partnered with Steiner Studios, a film and television production company, to submit a proposal to build a campus in the Brooklyn Navy Yard, where the company’s studios are already located.

Columbia University proposed an Institute for Data Sciences and Engineering that would be incorporated into its current plans to expand its West Harlem campus.

New York University (NYU) partnered with the University of Toronto, the University of Warwick, the Indian Institute of Technology in Bombay, City University of New York and Carnegie Mellon to propose a campus in Downtown Brooklyn. The proposed campus would be a Center for Urban Science and Research for approximately 500 graduate students, NYU spokesperson John Beckman told BusinessWeek.

A consortium of Rockefeller University, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, Stony Brook University and the New York Genome Center proposed Manhattan’s West Side as a site for its campus.

Amity University, an Indian university, submitted a solo proposal to use area on the Governor’s Island.

“Clearly this has the potential to be a real game changer for this city,” Bloomberg said. “All of the submissions were stronger than anything we could have possibly imagined.”

– – Kurt Chirbas