United Nations Association Film Festival: Part 2

The 14th United Nations Association Film Festival continues through this weekend. Last time, we featured projects whose stories and filmmakers were rooted in the Stanford community, but in case you missed them, all you budding global citizens can still check out these screenings and panel discussions, which all conveniently take place on campus.

This evening, the Freeman Spogli Institute for International Studies and School of Education will co-present “Studying or Working: A Young Person’s Dilemma” following screenings of director Meagan Kelly’s “Grace” and the Environmental Justice Foundation’s “White Gold: The True Cost of Cotton.” The former follows Mary-Grace Rapatan, a young Filipino girl forced to quit school in order to scavenge in the garbage dump that serves as her home and provide for her family. “White Gold,” comprised of undercover footage, exposes how Uzbeki schools are closed during harvest time and tens of thousands of pupils exploited by the government through forced labor in the fields.

Tomorrow, the Cantor Arts Center hosts “The Art of Eating Healthy,” a panel focused on Patricia Perez’s “Mistura: The Power of Food,” a look at Peruvian gastronomy and Avis Richards and Israel Bonequi’s “Lunch,” which explores America’s junk-food culture and its relationship to the lunch program in our school system. Panelists include Dr. Larry Hammer, professor of pediatrics at the School of Medicine, and Marc Evans ’10, the composer of “Music to Chew On.”

Other festival highlights include screenings of Rashid Ghazi’s “Fordson: Faith, Fasting and Football,” an intimate look at a Michigan high school football team where 98 percent of the student body is Arab American, Marina Goldovskaya’s “A Bitter Taste of Freedom,” which commemorates the accomplishments of recently assassinated journalist Anna Politkovskaya and Bosse Lindquist and Jesper Huor’s “WikiRebels,” a profile of infamous WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange.