The Daily brief: August 26, 2011

Cardinal goes Green | Stanford ranked fifth in a list of the most “green” universities compiled by Sierra magazine. The list, called the “coolest schools,” picked the University of Washington as its top school.

Global Competition | Stanford came in second in this year’s Academic Ranking of World Universities, published by Jiao Tong University in Shanghai. Last year Stanford came in third, while Harvard once again was ranked first this year.

Emergency Calls | When the earth finally stopped shaking during the East Coast earthquake earlier this week, the first thing many did was reach for their cell phones — only to find service unavailable as countless others similarly tried to contact friends and family. New technologies that are on the horizon may render that problem obsolete, according to a Scientific American interview with electrical engineering professor Andrea Goldsmith.

Overheard | “There’s always institutional risk when one competes at the level of being serious. Stanford has been pretty public about taking this seriously. We’re taking this seriously. As an institution that says that, there’s a risk, but I think the bigger risk is not participating in this thing.” — Dan Huttenlocher dean of computing and information science at Cornell University, on the bid to open up a NYC campus.

Follow The Daily | FacebookTwitterdaily email digest