The Daily brief: August 16, 2011

Aug. 16, 2011, 8:11 a.m.

Education Online | Three of Stanford’s most popular computer science courses will be offered for free online starting this fall. Stanford engineers leading the project are trying to enhance interactivity with course material by offering lectures in short videos with quizzes, which viewers can navigate at their own pace. Registration for the classes begins today.

New SLAC Leader | Cynthia Friend of Harvard became the new associate lab director of SLAC photon science earlier this month. Her research to-date has focused on catalysis and its application to clean energy. Friend is replacing Keith Hodgson who stepped down from the role to focus on other SLAC departments.

VanDerveer Speech | Women’s basketball coach Tara VanDerveer was inducted into the Naismith Hall of Fame last Friday. A video of her acceptance speech can be found online here.

Going Solar | Palo Alto is looking to the rooftops of local businesses to generate more solar power. City Council approved a new program last week that will enable small businesses to sign 20-year contracts selling electricity that their roofs generate to the city at a fixed rate. The city’s green attention formerly focused on wind farms and methane-burning landfills.

Follow The Daily | FacebookTwitterdaily email digest